What Is a Non-Toxic Nail Polish?
Traditional nail polishes contained a host of ingredients that we now deem as toxic—namely Formaldehyde, DBP, and Toluene. These can have incredibly harmful effects on your body. Because nails are quite porous, chemicals are easily absorbed through the nail bed and into your body, wreaking havoc along the way.
Non-toxic nail polishes are free of nasty chemicals. All avoid the ‘big three’ ingredients, and some products eliminate other potentially harmful ingredients too.
What Are the Benefits of a Non-Toxic Nail Polish?
With a non-toxic nail polish, you can have gorgeously painted nails along with peace of mind that you aren’t damaging your health. Just because newer nail polishes don’t contain these chemicals doesn’t mean they can’t deliver stunning colours and a long-lasting finish. There really isn’t any need to choose old-school nail polishes.
Read more about long-lasting formulas and keeping your mani looking pristine in How Can I Make My Nail Polish Last Longer?.
What Is 3 Free and 5 Free Nail Polish?
You may have heard the terms ‘3-free’ and ‘5-free’ when shopping for non-toxic nail polish. But what exactly do they mean? Standard nail polish is now ‘3-free’, meaning it doesn’t contain Formaldehyde, DBP, or Toluene. But it’s important to note that regulations of this are different throughout the world. A 5-free nail varnish takes things a step further and excludes Camphor and Formaldehyde Resin. These two ingredients are known allergens that can cause dermatitis and inhalation problems when presented in high doses. Read on to discover our favourite 5-free nail polish brands.
Is Non-Toxic Nail Polish Kid-Safe and Pregnancy-Safe?
We always recommend non-toxic nail polish for pregnancy, as dangerous chemicals can easily absorb into your body and harm your unborn child and you. Toluene especially is known to be harmful to fetuses. So, the greater the number of natural products you use in your pregnancy, the better. We also suggest non-toxic kid-safe nail polish to avoid exposing your little ones to nasty toxins.