I know so many people who skip out primer from their makeup routine and to me, it seems crazy as there are so many benefits to using one. They aren’t just great for making sure makeup goes on easily and actually lasts all day, but some act as an extension to your skincare routine with hydrating, mattifying, brightening and even anti-aging properties.
No matter your skin type, there will be a primer for you and you’re in luck as I’ve got them right here with me!
Best Primer for Ageing Skin
I recommend: Dermalogica Age Smart Skinperfect Primer SPF30
Why stop your anti-aging routine at skincare? The Dermalogica Age Smart Skinperfect Primer SPF30 blurs the boundaries of skincare and makeup with this fab foundation primer. Not only does it allow for smoother makeup application but it protects skin from the environment and provides a youthful glow.
– Protects skin from free radicals and contains broad spectrum SPF
– Fills in fine lines and pores to create a smooth surface
– Infused with pearl powder for added radiance
★★★★★ Makes you look and feel young – Clara
” I have become quite addicted to it. I am over 60 and this Dermalogica product is the goods. I have had several compliments on how young I look! What more can I say?”
Best Primer for Oily Skin
I recommend: Skindinavia The Makeup Primer Oil Control
Leaving the house feeling fabulous, only to find yourself resembling an oil slick a few hours later is never a good feeling. Keep shine at bay with the Skindinavia The Makeup Primer Oil Control, a revolutionary priming spray designed to keep your makeup in place all day for even the oiliest of complexions.
– Ultra-fine mist for even distribution
– Keeps makeup on for up to 16 hours
– Silicone-free formulation
– Can be worn with or without makeup for a shine-free finish
★★★★★ Essential item for oily skin – Lauren
“When I tried this one it felt beautiful and weightless on my skin. I used significantly less foundation as it made my makeup go so much further. After 12 hours of running around after 2 toddlers in a humid climate, my makeup still looks freshly done with just the slightest dewy finish. Amazing product!!”
Best Primer for Dry Skin
Add an extra layer of hydration into your beauty routine by applying the Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot Pre-Foundation Primer Gold. This moisturising primer soothes and nourishes skin whilst creating a smooth canvas for easy and long-lasting makeup application.
– Enriched with Chamomile, Yarrow extract and vitamin E for maximum hydration
– Best for dry skin but suitable for all skin types
– Increases longevity of makeup
– Available in stunning gold packaging
★★★★★ Luxe feel without the luxe price tag – Bimbot
“This primer feels amazing and luxurious and is the perfect base for any foundation. It’s also wonderful to use alone on those days you don’t feel like wearing makeup as it keeps your skin matte but really well hydrated”
Best Primer for Dull Skin
I recommend: BECCA First Light Priming Filter
If you feel like your skin needs a pick-me-up then look no further than the BECCA First Light Priming Filter. This violet toned primer can look a little daunting at first but it sheers out to be a gorgeous brightening primer which energises and revives dull complexions.
– Applies sheer with a subtle luminescence
– Brightens skin and evens out imperfections
– Energising citrus scent
– Contains spring water, prickly pear flower and Sodium Hyaluronate to hydrate skin