If you’ve experienced acne past the age of 18, you’ve probably noticed that a lot of products designed for acne-prone skin are targeted towards teenagers – not women in their 30s or 40s who are simultaneously trying to combat ageing and hormonal breakouts.
Sounds like a blast, doesn’t it? Acne resurfacing decades after it should’ve subsided? But the sad truth is acne doesn’t discriminate; hormonal, dietary and health-related factors can contribute to experiencing problematic skin later in life.
So, if you’re one of the (un)lucky ones, how do you treat these pesky breakouts without compromising on anti-ageing? That’s where I come in with some suggestions, my friends.
One of our most popular (and highest reviewed) products in this category, this oil-free serum helps to battle acne, as well as age-related concerns.
– It works to inhibit overactive oil production while minimising current breakouts
– Helps to reduce the appearance of post-acne hyperpigmentation
– Contains an effective blend of AHAs, BHAs and Dioic Acid
★★★★★ Great product – Zye
“I have oily skin and I’ve been using this product for the last month. I had a few pimples and acne when I started using this serum and it helped to get rid of them efficiently. It has been doing a great job for keeping my skin smooth and acne free since and also has improved my skin texture.”
This newly released serum specifically treats adult acne while supporting the skin to prevent premature ageing.
– The formula helps to clears blemishes faster, accelerating skin healing
– Prevents congestion including blackheads while strengthening the skin’s barrier
– Contains brightening actives & botanical extracts including Shitaake Mushroom
★★★★★ Crazy! – Ian
“Only one week in and seeing massive differences. I took before and afters and it’s honestly crazy how well it works. The smell is great and feels good and cooling on the skin. I use it after cleanse and toning and before other targeted treatments.”
Cosmedix Define Resurfacing Treatment
Varying from the two serums above, this cream-based treatment product has both resurfacing and age-defying benefits, and is particularly effective for treating problematic skin types.
– The exfoliating action of the formula reveals a brighter, smoother complexion
– Helps to stimulate collagen & elastin production to improve fine lines & wrinkles
– Blends hydroxy acids with retinol to effectively (but gently) reduce blemishes
★★★★★ Serious improvement – Jordi
“My beauty therapist recommended this serum for night time to help with skin texture. I have generally clear skin that is slightly dry, but suffer from hormonal acne on the chin and slightly bumpy skin texture on the jaw line. I have introduced this product every second night for a week and have already noticed significant improvement in my jaw line texture. Very happy with this product.”
View this post on Instagram
With skin concerns like acne, and the associated likelihood of scarring, I do like to encourage anyone with persistent acne to consult an experienced therapist, clinician or dermatologist for advice on professional treatments that can be paired with a topical skincare routine.
Acne is a complex skin condition that can be influenced by so many factors, so seeing a specialist to identify the causes can be really beneficial to your overall treatment.