Waterproof foundation is a blessing on hot, sticky summer days, but is it necessary all the time?
Waterproof foundation is a blessing on hot, sticky summer days, but is it necessary all the time? As is the case with all cosmetics, the answer depends on you, your skin, and your preferences.
Who Benefits Most From Waterproof Foundation
A waterproof foundation formula is ideal for you if you:
- Are an athlete or performer and want to look fresh during sports events, recitals, etc.
- Live in an humid climate and find that your makeup slides off quickly
- Live in a rainy climate and aren’t always armed with an umbrella or hood
- Work outdoors or near water and have minimal opportunity to reapply makeup or check your complexion
- Are an adventurous or spontaneous person and want a foundation that can keep up with whatever your day has planned for you
If none of these statements describes your lifestyle or environment, a waterproof foundation probably isn't a daily necessity. But If your skin is flawless and well-balanced, go right ahead and use whatever foundation works best for you.
Acne-prone skin benefits from a lighter makeup that’s easier to remove and leaves no residue behind after cleansing. Waterproof formulas often contain loads of pore-clogging silicones that can aggravate acne-prone skin, which is all the more reason to steer clear of such formulas unless absolutely necessary.
Removing Waterproof Foundation
An oil-based remover will break up your makeup the most effectively. But don’t worry about putting oil on your face; oils in makeup removers aren't left on the skin for very long. Regardless of your skin type, you always need to follow with your normal cleanser once the foundation is removed.
Trying to use your regular cleanser to remove waterproof makeup is problematic for your wallet and face for reasons you wouldn’t immediately expect. You'll need to use a ton of cleanser, meaning you’ll run out sooner.
Additionally, using more detergents than necessary on the skin can be super-drying and damaging. Overall, an oil-based makeup remover is best.
If you choose to wear a waterproof foundation daily, that’s quite all right! Remove your makeup carefully each night, and you’ll be all set to rock your waterproof look on a clear complexion.