The two biggest differences in the new ANR serum are: the inclusion of a hot new ingredient and tweaks to the original packaging to make it more sustainable (and prettier to look at, too).
First, let's talk about the fact the famous little brown bottle has had a mini-makeover.
Formerly plastic, it's now made from high-quality, recyclable glass so you can chuck your empty bottle straight in the recycling when you run out.
The previously opaque bottle now also has a slight glow to it at the bottom, so you can see what the colour/texture of the serum looks like.
I personally prefer this new bottle colour because it makes it a lot easier to see when the product is running out, but the glass is still opaque enough to protect the formula from light and heat.
Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Ingredients
Now, onto that aforementioned hot new ANR serum ingredient.
A quick science lesson: Estée Lauder scientists (presumably very chic French ladies in pristine white lab coats) discovered only 25 per cent of the ageing process is determined by our genes. The other 75 per cent? That comes down to lifestyle factors like diet, exercise, how much/if we smoke or drink alcohol, sleep, stress, and of course, the beauty products we use.
This is excellent news for us, because it means how our skin looks and ages in the future is largely within our control... if we get our butts into gear and start treating it right.
Fast-forward and Dr Nadine Pernodet, vice president of skin biology & bioactives global research and development at The Estée Lauder Companies, says her team discovered these things in our bodies called micro signalling molecules, which can basically chat to our cells and tell them what they need to do.
Then, they found a specific molecule that’s essential to the skin’s natural repair system and can help activate its own anti-ageing processes (um, hello).
“This micro signalling molecule helps skin increase its natural renewal of fresh, new cells and boosts its natural collagen production,” Dr Pernodet says.
“Here in the R&D [research and development] laboratories we consider it a guardian of skin youthfulness.”
Now, Estée Lauder scientists have found a new ingredient called adansonia digitata seed extract that boosts the micro signalling molecule in our bodies that helps the skin naturally repair itself. In short, this ingredient helps us create fresh new skin cells and stimulates our natural collagen production.
This new hero ingredient is derived from the Adansonia Digitata tree, also known as the Baobab tree, and its seeds are loaded with amazing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory skincare ingredients like vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and nourishing fatty acids - all buzzwords we know our skin loves.