3 Reasons Vitamin D Might Be The Next "It" Ingredient

Vitamins A, B, C and E are great, right? We love them. But have you ever noticed there's a letter missing there? Good old Vitamin D seems to have been shunned by the skincare community thanks to its association with the sun, which is also referred to as the devil in the skincare world.

But I fear we've prematurely disowned Vitamin D as part of our well-rounded cosmeceutical routines. Judging by what I've learned about this ingredient just recently, it's going to be the next "it" ingredient. Cya, other vitamins. Kidding, you still need those too.

The Lowdown On Vitamin D:

Let me just hit you with some cold, hard facts. Did you know 23 per cent of Australian's are Vitamin D deficient, and that percentage increases to 36 per cent in winter?

Board-certified dermatologist Jennifer Herrmann explained to Byrdie the negative impacts Vitamin D deficiency can have on the skin.

"Poor immune function weakens the skin barrier, increasing dryness and chance of infections," she explains.

"Increased inflammation can worsen inflammatory conditions like acne, eczema, and rosacea." As pointed out by Advanced Skin Technology Educator, Sam Allen, 90 per cent of the Vitamin D we absorb is through sun exposure, while the other 10 per cent is through diet (which our vital organs steal most of).

Now, at this point, you might be thinking... isn't sun exposure meant to be bad for our skin?

Well, yes. This article is less about encouraging you to sunbake, and more about using a topical Vitamin D - so let's find out what that can actually do for the skin.

AdobeStock 340506303-ResizeAdobeStock 340506303-Resize

What Can It Do For My Skin?

The type of Vitamin D in Société Vitamin D Complex is scientifically known as cholecalciferol. It's a fat-soluble vitamin that plays an essential role in maintaining the health of the skin by normalising mitochondrial (cell) function.

Now, if that just sounds like science jargon, let me point out the three main things this product can do for your skin:

  • It helps to protect and rejuvenate the skin for improved appearance

  • Prevents transepidermal water loss and helps to support the skin's barrier so you can kiss dehydration goodbye

  • Has a soothing, calming and anti-inflammatory effect on the skin making it suitable for sensitive skins and for post-procedure use

What Else Is In This Product?

The Vitamin D alone isn't what makes Société Vitamin D Complexnoteworthy. It boasts a line-up of some seriously good cosmeceutical ingredients that you definitely want to find in any anti-ageing product.

Vitamins C, E & F: help to resist moisture loss in the skin, as well offer antioxidant protection against premature ageing through environmental stress, while having a brightening effect.

Celery Seed & Linseed Extract: form the brands' unique Pore Perfect complex which helps to firm, tone, and re-densify skin (making it perfect for mature skin or age prevention).

Hyaluronic Acid: we know the ins and outs of HA, but in short, it plumps and firms the appearance of skin, offering hydration.

Triple Peptide Blend: which encourages cell turnover, minimises the appearance of sun damage and improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.


How Do You Use It In Your Routine?

Not only is this product the first of its kind in a cosmeceutical formula, but it makes for the perfect addition to any winter skincare routine, ensuring the skin gets a vital dose of Vitamin D sans sunbaking. Oh, and did I mention it can act as both a serum and a moisturiser?

Due to its cream, silicone-y texture, it's best to apply 1-2 pumps after all of your other serums. It can be used AM and PM alongside all your other skin-loving vitamins. I've been using it in the morning over my Vitamin C serum and under my SPF.

So if you're looking for an anti-ageing powerhouse to add to your routine, and you want to reap the benefits Vitamin D has to offer without exposing yourself to wrinkle-causing UV, Société Vitamin D Complexmight be a good option for you (especially if you're a Melburnian like me!)

    Join Now >
    Filled with the usual things we know you'll love, and surprises you might not expect, it's real rewards, really simple.