To choose a facial oil that's perfect for your skin type, look for ingredients proven to treat your targeted concerns. We investigate the three kinds of active ingredients in more effective facial oils.
Facial oils, like most other skincare products, are formulated for specific skin types or to provide certain benefits, such as long-term anti-ageing or instant nourishment. Understanding which oil is perfect for you rests on knowing which ingredients are most beneficial for your complexion concerns.
Three kinds of ingredients are very beneficial to skin and often found at high quantities in facial oils:
- Omega-3 oils
- Minerals, i.e. zinc and selenium
Let's take a deeper look at each of these ingredients, how you'll find them within a facial oil, and which skin types and concerns they're perfect for.
Omega-3 Facial Oils Address a Variety of Skin Concerns
All natural oils have a very high content of fatty acids, or omega oils. Although omegas come in many forms, it's omega-3 oils that have gained a stellar reputation for skin treatment.
If you haven't heard of omega-3 oils in skincare before, you've likely heard of them in terms of nutrition. These oils are the very reason why fatty fishes such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna are regarded as some of the best foods for beauty, health, and well-being.
Omega-3 oils provide essential nourishment to our bodies. The word 'essential' in this context refers to the fact that your body cannot create certain substances on its own.
This is why omega-3 essential fatty acids are often associated with repair and replenishment. Omega-3 oils are also active anti-inflammatories, which makes them beneficial in the treatment of several skin types and concerns.
You'll find a large dose of omega-3s in oils such as:
Which are found in high quantities in some of our most esteemed facial oils:
- Trilogy Certified Organic Rosehip Oil
- Trilogy Advanced Formula Rosehip Oil Antioxidant+
- KORA Organics Luxurious Rosehip Oil
These products are perfect for skin types that are:
- Sensitive and inflamed
- Suffering from dry skin conditions, such as eczema or dermatitis
- Suffering from acne, spots, or pimples
Facial Oils With Antioxidants Treat Sun Damage and Ageing
Antioxidants are ingredients that help defend your skin from factors that cause ageing. Daily exposure to pollutants, UV rays, and environmental stressors guarantee a constant onslaught. Your skin resists these attackers through its own internal supply of antioxidants; however, these reserves can become depleted.
Integrating antioxidants into your skincare regimen bolsters your skin's defences. Some of the best antioxidants to look out for include:
- Vitamin E, as tocopherol or tocopheryl acetate
- Vitamin A, as retinyl palmitate
- Rice bran oil, blueberry oil, and oat oil, which contain tocotrienol, a form of vitamin E that's 40 to 60 times more potent than other forms
You can find these antioxidants in the following facial oils:
- Trilogy Advanced Formula Rosehip Oil Antioxidant+, containing blueberry oil and oat oil
- Jurlique Herbal Recovery Antioxidant Face Oil, containing vitamins A and E
- APIVITA Wine Elixir Anti-Wrinkle & Restoring Face Oil, high in both tocopherol and tocopheryl acetate
Antioxidant facial oils are great for skin that is:
- Sun-damaged or often exposed to sun
Mineral-Rich Facial Oils Strengthen Skin's Normal Function and Healing Process
From skin-repairing zinc to antioxidant selenium, there are many trace minerals our skin needs to function healthily. Zinc in particular is indicated specifically in the healing process of skin. When skin is deficient in trace minerals, it remains damaged for longer and can be prone to inflammatory conditions such as acne.
You can find these trace minerals in oil extracts such as:
- Sea buckthorn
- Pumpkin seed oil
- Brazil nut oil
And to save you from searching our ingredient lists, we've handpicked the following facial oils:
- Aspect Red-Less 21, containing sea buckthorn
- KORA Organics Luxurious Rosehip Oil, pairing omega-3s with the high mineral content of sea buckthorn oil
Mineral-rich facial oils are great for skin types that:
- Are acne- and spot-prone
- Heal slowly
- Have an impaired barrier function, as is common with dermatitis-type skin conditions
Now that you know which three kinds of ingredients to look for in a facial oil, you'll probably want to know how to ensure your oils remain highly active. Head over to our Ultimate Guide article, 'Why Do I Need to Store a Facial Oil Carefully?', where we explain how to handle precious facial oils.