Online Retail Marketing Initiative: Adore Beauty’s Search for an Amateur Make-up Artist
A competition for amateur makeup artists, where entrants submit a photograph of their signature makeup look. Entrants can share their entry via social networks and encourage their friends to vote. The winner receives $2000 worth of makeup plus a tutorial with famous makeup artist Max May.
- Build brand awareness among "beauty junkies" - establish Adore Beauty as a credible, official stockist of all their favourite brands
- Drive new users to our website
- Capture email signups and boost social followings
- Convert new customers
- Competition was created using the Woobox platform and embedded on our site to create a landing page (//www.adorebeauty.com.au/muasearch)
- We retained makeup artist Max May to be the competition's ambassador, and to launch the competition via his popular blog (maxmade.com.au) and social media platforms.
- 24 hours after Max launched the competition, we rolled out a display ad campaign, You Tube pre-roll ads on make-up tutorials, and sharing on our own social media platforms.
- As well as promotion in our EDMs, we contacted make-up artistry schools nationwide, following up with phone calls to check the competition had been shared among students.
- As the competition progressed, we began posting entries on Instagram and in Facebook galleries on a weekly basis, to keep it top-of-mind and inspire new entries.
- With two weeks to go before the contest closed, we contacted the entrants and encouraged them to amp up their sharing (and therefore votes).
- On May 31st, Max May will select the winner. A runner-up will be chosen based on public votes.
- The competition's conclusion will be followed by the launch of our makeup artist discount program, and all entrants will be encouraged to apply.
Want to WIN the ultimate makeup artist prize? Adore Beauty is on the search for an amateur makeup artist, and we want to see what you can do. The incredible prize worth over $2000 includes an all expenses paid masterclass with the one and only @maxmade, the ultimate makeup-artist kit, and a $1000 gift voucher to spend at Adore Beauty! The Adore Beauty Search for an Amateur Makeup Artist Competition is only open to amateurs. An amateur is defined as a person who does not derive their main source of income from being a makeup artist. Good luck! Click the link in our description to enter and for full terms and #AdoreBeautyMUASearch
Results (as at 15th May 2015)
The competition launched on May 1st, and is still running at the time of submission - to date it has been our most successful activity ever in terms of driving new visitors to the site.
For a total campaign budget of $7 000, including prize value, Max May as ambassador, and promotion via YouTube and social, we have achieved:
- 353 competition entries
- 36.3K unique visits to the competition page
- 15.5K votes
- Sessions from new visitors are up 53% on the same time period last year (1-15 May)
- Sessions from social sources are up 453% on last year
- Revenue from new customers has increased by 78% on last year