Even with the right products, concealer can crease and get cakey. For a perfect finish, you need the right application technique. Here’s how to master concealer.
Want to up your concealer game? Here are a few secrets from the pros to prevent creasing and caking and get a perfect finish.
1. Start with foundation.
You might not even need concealer once you’ve got everything evened out with foundation. If you have blemishes, this order of application is particularly important, because it’ll prevent you from smearing your concealer.
2. Get comfortable with colour correcting.
Those crazy coloured concealers are priceless. Don’t be intimidated by them! They’re easier to use than you might think.
- BECCA Backlight Colour Correcting Crème in Pistachio is perfect for counteracting redness.
- BECCA Backlight Colour Correcting Crème in Papaya banishes ashy tones and dark under-eye circles.
- Have orange or yellow tones? You’ll love BECCA Backlight Colour Correcting Crème in Violet.
3. Follow up colour corrector with neutrals.
Nobody wants bright green, purple, and orange spots all over her face! Whenever you use colour corrector, follow up with a concealer that matches your skin tone as closely as possible.
4. Always use setting powder.
5. Stay moisturised.
The best way to prevent a caked-on concealer look is to prep with a good quality eye cream. Remember, your eye area doesn’t produce oil as the rest of your skin does.
6. Use a makeup sponge.
For perfectly even distribution, use a makeup sponge to dab the concealer gently onto your skin. And remember, less is more. Start with a little and then work your way up if you need more. If you do end up putting on too much, get your makeup sponge damp and blot the area.